Monday, July 12, 2010

Oh the joys of being a Woman!

Have you ever walked into a room and suddenly ALL eyes are on you? You're thinking, "Do I have something on my face? Is my makeup smeared? Did I step in dog poop and stink? WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT!?!?!"

Well that's how I felt today. Except, it wasn't just a room, it was an entire market place! Kind of like a flea-market, but with way more people than you can imagine, all staring at the "rubia americana" passing through. I felt like an alien. If you know me pretty well, you know that one of my biggest insecurities is the color of my skin. Having to explain that you're of Mexican descent, but have light skin because you're from northern Mexico and have Spanish roots, is only fun telling the first couple times. By now I'd rather wear a sign around my neck or tattoo it on my forehead. On the flip side, however, I have to admit that I love knowing what people around me are saying and catch them totally off guard when I look at them and say..."cuidado con lo que dices por que entiendo todo." Priceless looks on their faces.

But regardless of how many times I have to say it, or smile at the comments I get, one thing always strikes me when I question why God made me the way he did. In all his power and all his glory and all his wonder, he made me with light skin, light eyes, and light hair for a reason. The Dominicans here that I've become very close to, whom are like a second family to me, absolutely love me the way I am. Something I've had to learn to do, love myself, be ok with me, look in the mirror and like what I see.

As we walked through the market, me and my new great friend Paola, we talked as if we had known each other for years. She would tell me what foods we were looking for, I would say hi to those who were selling (friends of hers, of course), and though they stared, Paola just said, "vamos Dulce, te miran porque eres bella." It's like she knew I was starting to feel uncomfortable that the people were staring. Yet, I felt comfortable with her.

When we finally got back to the casa, I headed back to the kitchen and wanted to get in on the cooking. I've been learning and loving it! Our cooks here are amazing and they have no problems letting me watch and ask questions. "Mira, mexicana, asi lo hacen en tu pais?"
"Casi igual." Not so much from scratch though, at least not in the states. I mean you're talkin' lemonade from straight lemons, sugar, and water. Tostones, fried plantains, from the tree to the bubbling oil. Legit! SO YUMMY!!!!

You won't believe this though, I've been washing by hand! Boo yaaaa, taking it WAY back! Washing my socks and underwear took me two hours, can't even lie about that. Yes, they do have a washer here, but not a dryer and I'm not about to have my chonies hanging on the line for all of Barahona to see! Are you kidding me!?!? So I took a bucket, some water from a big basin, and some detergent, headed up my bathroom and scrubbed away. Imaginate, aye Dios! Shout out to my abuelas for doing this everyday way back when! Remember when I said God was showing me things? He's showing me how to appreciate what I have, don't even worry! Ques que washing machines y water heaters, tas loca! Have I mentioned that I love cold showers? Well there ya go.

Oh, the joys of being a woman. Being stared at and talked about, then washing, cooking, cleaning, disciplining, teaching, working HARD yet being loved, appreciated and cared about. Call me old fashioned, but I love being a woman. So regardless of my skin color, I'm living every day here and will live every day back home, loving the way God made me.

"She is more precious than Rubies; nothing you desire can compare to her." -Proverbs 3:15

Dulce :)

P.S. The boys continue to learn as I continue to teach and discipline. There is desperate need of some re-structuring in this program, but I'm confident that again, God has everything under control. Please continue to pray as God is shaping the people of I Love Baseball.

Saludos y bendiciones desde la Republica Dominican!

2 comments:

  1. YOu are so funny!! I feel like that sometimes, well just about all the time when I have to explain that yes I speak'ale spanish, and I am a mexicana!! Sounds like you are enjoying yourself completly! Great job on being one Amazing woman and getting down and dirty! Love you Candice be safe and we are praying for you AlWays!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Dulce! ¡¡Me encanta el blog!! I'm excited to hear about your next adventure. We should talk soon. Have fun down there and tell all the guys hello.
    Un abrazo de Jackson Hole, WY.

    ReplyDelete